Community

The Office Door Effect

Posted on September 11, 2014

This post originally appeared on appendTo's blog on September 11th, 2014.  I've cross-posted it here for posterity. Here at appendTo, we are a fully distributed company. We all work from home offices across the country and world, rarely connecting with one another in a physical space during the normal course of our work day. The key to making this a success has been our perspective of translating the normal human interactions we are ...

Read More

Two challenges facing the human race.

Posted on September 3, 2014

I see two challenges facing the human race. Water shortages The current potable water crisis in California is a foreshadowing of the unforeseen consequences of climate change and population explosion. Simple conservation will not be enough. Our planet's natural water cycle is struggling under the burden humans have placed upon it in their unflinching quest for water. We can survive without oil but we cannot survive without water. Short-Term ...

Read More

Why does the software community matter?

Posted on August 30, 2013

Since the beginning of appendTo, we've constantly said we support the community. I view that supportive posture as one of the keys to the success we've seen so far, but we've done little to explain why. I was graciously given the opportunity to talk a little bit about this prior to the keynote this week at the devLink Technical Conference and I wanted to re-post the transcript of what I said here on my blog. This is a subject I am passionate ...

Read More