I regularly get asked what I’m up to. Here’s the official list, current as of January 2017. Am I busy? NO! Read why below.
I’m a big fan of Fractional Work. I find that I’m more productive when working on various projects and cross-referencing my learnings amongst all of them. The only downside is that describing what I do at a cocktail party is awkward.
- My main gig is currently Table XI where I carry the title of Entrepreneur in Residence. That means I do a lot of things, from serving on the management team to sales to coaching & mentoring. It’s a great company with great people. If you’re in Chicago, you should reach out to me and swing by for lunch.
- My passion for technology and mentoring comes out in my primary side project, Modern Web. Modern Web is a worldwide community of technologists centered on ModernWeb.com where I serve to mentor those in technology in various forms, with the goal of helping each person I work with unlock their full potential.
Startups & Advising
I love startups. I love the energy, solving problems and the challenges of solving problems. I work with many startups in many capacities. Often, startups need a seasoned executive to help guide their success. I enjoy filling this role and do it with several companies.
- I’m serving as SuperBetter’s Chief Technology Officer. SuperBetter is a Chicago startup aimed at helping people recover from Mental Illness and Traumatic Brain Injury. It’s a great app that helps a lot of people and I’m proud to be part of it.
- I serve as the Chief Information Officer for Rent Like a Champion. They’re a great Chicago startup story that aired on Shark Tank and received a deal from Shark’s Mark Cuban & Chris Sacca. I was part of the technology team that helped keep the website running when the episode aired. It was a blast and I’m continuing to help the company.
- I mentor the CEO of Langa.io, a Node.js consulting company out of Norfolk, Virginia, by serving as their COO.
- I mentor the CEO of Clutchwork, a small consulting company out of Omaha, Nebraska, by serving as their COO.
- I work as an advisor to ConceptDrop, a marketplace connecting designers to interesting projects based in Chicago.
- I work as an advisor to Get20, a delivering on-demand advice to startups & entrepreneur’s.
- I work as an advisor to Trytyn, an online booking platform for dive shops.
- I work as an advisor to GetBric, a service resources projection planning platform based in Omaha, Nebraska.
- I’m an advisor to Prota Ventures, a new Venture Studio in Chicago.
Giving back is very important to me. This means spending time with various causes I care about, mostly Technology and Open Source related.
- I run the Chicago Node.js Meetup. If you’re in town, you should join us.
- I serve on the Fluent Conference Program Committee.
- I’m a member of the Software Freedom Conservancy Eval Committee.
- I’m a member of the Young Entrepreneur’s Council.
- I’m a member of the Forbes Technology Council.
- I’m a member of the Chicago CTO Forum.
I’m blessed with an amazing family. Our three girls are growing like crazy and I take every chance I can get to play with them, teach them about computers and electronics and all the geeky things they can handle. We home-school all of them at the moment, which is great. We’re taking it a year at time, but enjoy it because my wife and I both actively participate in their learning adventure.
Where to find me
I live and work online. I spend a significant amount of my day plugged in and am generally available.
- Phone: +1-872-216-1185
- Email: Hit up my contact form
- Twitter: @mikehostetler
- Facebook: http://facebook.com/mikehostetler
- LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/mikehostetler
- Github: http://github.com/mikehostetler
- Keybase: http://keybase.io/mikehostetler
Am I Busy? Not really.
I often hesitate to list all the things I do because I inevitably get asked, “So, you must be crazy busy, right?”. In a word, no. My view is that you’re only busy if you live an overwhelming, out of control life. Is that harsh? Sure, but it’s also honest. I hate being busy and strive to manage my time and direct it towards what matters to me most.
Note to self: I should probably write a blog post on this some time.